Karen: I thought it was a fairly poor year for films. Granted, I don't get out and see a film every week, but I do go to a fair number of films. But so many I saw this year were either downright bad, or had terrible third acts, or just enough problems to keep me from whole-heartedly embracing them. Here's my short list of favorite films that I saw for 2013:
1. Star Trek Into Darkness
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Now You See Me
Doug: We don't go to a lot of movies, but for some reason I did see several in the theater this year. By no means am I qualified to give any constructive criticisms, but the following were films I enjoyed -
- 42 - this was the Jackie Robinson biopic
- Gatsby - visually stunning, but disconnect on the soundtrack
- Monsters University - Pixar wins again
- The Butler - a little too much historical fiction, but good
- Thor: The Dark World
- Saving Mr. Banks - Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson are fabulous
- Now You See Me - which I actually just watched last night on video!
1. Kill City Blues by Richard Kadrey
2. Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis
3. Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi by Mark Hodder
Karen: All of these books are parts of series and I would highly recommend them to any of you, as they are very entertaining reads.
Karen: Feel free to serve up your own lists of favorites from 2013 as we bid this year good-bye and welcome in 2014. And may you all have a fun (and safe!) New Year's Eve!